Mahashivratri is one of the most auspicious festivals in India. It is the day to honour and celebrate Lord Shiva and is a celebration of life and existence. It is also known as the ‘Great Night of Lord Shiva.’
Rudrabhishek puja is a supreme ritual and is considered to be one of the purest rituals in Hinduism. Rudrabhishek puja is performed by giving a sacred bath to Lord Shiva along with flowers and the holy puja materials.
Here is the right way of doing Rudrabhisheka at home
- Place the Shiva Linga on a plate in the area of ritual.
- Light a lamp with oil or ghee and place it to the right of the Shiva Linga.
- Decorate all the puja ingredients in a tray and sit comfortably facing East. Use asana to avoid sitting on the floor directly.
- Both men and women must wear clean ethnic clothes while performing Rudrabhishek.
- Perform Achamanya, a purification ritual in Hinduism while speaking aloud religious chants like Om Narayanaya Namah etc.
- Seek the blessings of Lord Ganesha, Lord Indra and your Kul Devta before beginning the puja.
- Offer Bel Patra while chanting Om Namah Shivaya and offer flowers and akshat to the lamp.
- Now gently move the Shiva Linga from the ritual area to an open place or tray and place the Linga on a Bel Patra to start performing the Rudrabhishek easily.
- Begin the Rudrabhishek by offering some water while chanting ‘Om Namah Shivaya’.
- Then gently pour Panchamrit on the Shiva Linga. Offer Chandan and water.
- Offer flowers and raw milk followed by Gangajal or water.
- Now clean and wipe the Shiva Linga and move it back to its original throne on a Bel Patra.
- Offer Vastra, Janeu and apply Chandan with your right finger.
- Light the dhoop, followed by a lamp or Diya and shower Bhasma, Bel Patra, Durva, flowers while ringing the bell.
- Then cleanse your hand and offer fruits, paan, supari, laung and elaichi, dakshina etc.
- Keep chanting Om Namah Shivaya during the Rudrabhishek.
- You can also chant the Maha Mrityunjay Mantra.
- Perform the Pooja with camphor (kapoor) then do Parikrama and finish the puja by showering Lord Shiva with flowers and naman seeking his blessings.
5 zodiac signs to get special blessings on this Shivaratri: Are you in the list?
Discussion about this post