IPL 2021 postponed after COVID bubble breach

In what comes as more shocking news related to the Indian Premier League 2021, the tournament has been postponed, starting Tuesday, after multiple bubble breaches. Since Monday, there have been reports of numerous cases of participating members testing COVID positive.

Sources confirmed the same to Asianet Newsable. Meanwhile, vice-president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, Rajeev Shukla, told ANI, “IPL suspended for this season.” Furthermore, IPL chairman Brijesh Patel told PTI, “Indian Premier League suspended indefinitely after multiple COVID-19 cases in its bio-bubble.”

The update comes after a couple of more players have tested COVID positive. Sunrisers Hyderabad wicketkeeper-batsman Wriddhiman Saha is the latest to join the list, along with Delhi Capitals spinner Amit Mishra. “He (Saha) had fever and had been in isolation for the past five days. We are also being asked to stay in the room,” the source was quoted as saying to PTI.

“The Indian Premier League Governing Council (IPL GC) and Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in an emergency meeting has unanimously decided to postpone IPL 2021 season, with immediate effect. The BCCI does not want to compromise on the safety of the players, support staff and the other participants involved in organising the IPL. This decision was taken keeping the safety, health and wellbeing of all the stakeholders in mind,” said IPL in a statement later.