Bhringraj is also known as Kesharaj which means “Ruler of the hair”. It is rich in proteins, vitamins and antioxidants which help protect the body against certain infections.
Bhringraj oil is is effective in promoting hair growth as well as reducing the greying of hair. This is due to the presence of various nutrients in Bhringraj that provide nourishment to the hair scalp.
According to Ayurveda, Bhringraj juice rejuvenates the skin and thereby helps reduce the signs of aging such as fine lines, wrinkles and patchy skin due to its anti-aging property. Bhringraj powder along with a carrier oil (like coconut oil) can also be used to manage skin infections and allergies due to its antimicrobial property.
Taking Bhringraj powder along with water helps in the management of cholesterol levels due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It also protects the liver cells against damage caused by free radicals due to its hepatoprotective and antioxidant properties.
Taking Bhringraj leaves in the powdered form increases the production of urine due to its diuretic property and therefore helps to manage urinary complications. Bhringraj is also beneficial in managing the symptoms of gastrointestinal disorders (such as diarrhea and dysentery) like contractions or spasms in the stomach, intestine or urinary bladder due to its antispasmodic property.
BENEFITS AND USES OF BHRINGRAJ POWDER
- Bhringraj power has hepatoprotective properties. It benefits to improve liver functions, reduces accumulated fat from the liver, and improves metabolism.
- It also acts on the stomach and detoxifies Pitta (gastric juices) and improves digestion.
- It encourages hair growth and prevents premature graying of hairs. Generally, Bhringraj Oil is applied to the scalp for this purposes on regular basis. In addition to oil, one can also apply the Bhringraj paste to the scalp for hair discoloration treatment. Generally, for this 1 part of Bhringraj Powder and 1 Part of Jatamansi Powder and 1 part of Amla powder are mixed together. And then mixed with water to make a paste. This paste is applied to the scalp to blackening hair.
- It is also used to treat whitening of hair. Along with Triphala Powder, it is given to restore the natural color of hair. This remedy is recommended for 3 months.
- It also aids in skin diseases. It detoxified the blood and improves skin health. In Ayurveda, it reduces Ama and prevents several diseases. It makes skin vibrant, younger and healthier. It also boosts wound healing process.
- In a headache and migraine, it is given with goat’s milk. In addition to it, its juice and goat’s milk is instilled in the nose to reduce severe pain occurring in a migraine.
- It reduces symptoms of hyperacidity and GERD. It reduces burning sensation, heartburn, sour belching, indigestion, and In this case, it is given along with Haritaki Powder and jaggery.
- It is a rejuvenating medicine in ayurveda, which means it helps to delay aging, prevent diseases and restoring energy in the body. In the form of Rasayana (rejuvenation), it also increases memory, intelligence, and digestive health. For rejuvenation purposes, it is taken with cow’s ghee and brown sugar.
- It is also a good remedy for chronic fever characterized by low-grade fever, fatigue, and In some cases of chronic fever, the patient develops splenomegaly (spleen enlargement) and liver functions get disturbed. It reduces inflammation in the spleen and liver. Thereby, it restores their natural functions.
- Its powder is used along with honey in a productive It helps in easier expectoration of mucus and sputum accumulated in the lungs and airways. Thus, it helps to provide relief from a cough and chest congestion. It further prevents mucus formation and regulates respiratory functions. It also provides relief from breathing troubles occurring due to the accumulation of excess mucus in the airways.
- Bhringraj powder improves eyesight. In ayurveda, it is used along with Saptamrit Lauh or Amla and Yashtimadhu Churna. (Also Read: How to Improve Eyesight Naturally)
It is advisable to use Bhringraj in the recommended dosage as high dosage may cause stomach problems.