Kanchipuram is one of the Seven Holy Cities in India which is believed to be ruled by Goddess Kamakshi Amman. Kanchi Puram means, Ka – Bramha, Anchi – Worshipped (Lord Vishnu) Puram – City.
Sri Vardaraja Perumal Temple located in Kanchipuram, is one of the major Vaishnava Temples in South India which is ranked Par with Tirupathi and Srirangam.
The idol of Lord Varatharaja Perumal is said to be installed by Lord Brahma Himself. Varadharaja literally means The King who Gives Benedictions.
There is something really special and a Mind-Blowing Fact about this Temple. Since 01-July-2019 lakhs of devotees are thronging to this temple for a ‘Rare Darshan’.
The Rare Darshan
Lord Athi Varadhar is taken out of the water only once in 40 years. The idol thus taken out of the temple’s sacred tank will be kept for darshan for 48 days. This is also called ‘Athi Varadhar Rising’.
It was in July 1979 Lord Varadhar gave Darshan last. On 01 July-2019, after 40 years, the idol is kept for Darshan again. The next darshan will be in the month of July 2059. Millions of people await for this golden opportunity to have a glimpse of the Lord.
History Of Athi Varadhar
- The original deity of Lord Varadhar is said to be installed by Lord Bramha.
- The deity of Athi Varadhar is carved out of “Athi Tree” (FIG TREE) by Vishwakarma in Kritha Yuga.
- Until 16th Century this Idol was the main deity in the Sanctum inside Punyakoti Vimana.
- It is said that during the Muslim invasion, in order to protect the Mooolavar (main Deity) and other valuables, the Idol was secretly immersed inside Pushkarani (Anantha Sarovara) inside the temple premises. Only one family knew about the exact place where the Lord was kept.
- For 40 years the temple did not have a deity in the Main Garbagriha (Sanctum) and no pooja was performed.
- When elders who knew where the Lord was hidden also passed away, their successors tried vigorously to bring back other Moorthies back to the temple.
- As Athi Varadhar was untraceable, the temple authorities decided to place another Vigraha which was made of stone from the place called Pazaya Seevaram.
- Devaraja Swami known as Athi Rishi Karachita Moorthy was brought to Kanchipuram to install the new idol in the Garbagriham as the Main Deity.
In 1709 due to some reasons, the Pushkarani was emptied and for huge Surprise, Lord Athi Varadhar was found lying inside. After discussions, finally, the authorities decided the Moorthy to be Taken out Every 40 Years for pooja for 48 days and again would be Immersed. This decision was based on the fact Kaliyuga Pooja performed By Adi sheesha to Varadharaja Perumal.
The temple is opened for darshan since 1 July. People are rushing to the temple, to have an opportunity to see Lord Varadha Raja. Most of them know, perhaps this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.