Utkata means intense or powerful. Utkatasana, a simple sitting posture is in fact a powerful Asana. Practicing chair pose means sitting on an imaginary chair. The final position of this yoga pose looks like sitting on a chair hence it is called as chair pose.
Here are its benefits, steps, and precautions.
- Stand straight with an erect spine and your arms at your side.
- Keep some distance between your feet.
- Stretch your hands forward to keep them parallel to the ground. Hands should be straight and palms should be facing downward.
- Now bend your knees and bring your pelvis down like sitting on a chair.
- Try to brings your thighs parallel to the ground.
- Hold this position for one minute and keep breathing normally. Bring a smile on your face.
- Now release your pose to come to the starting position
- Repeat it for 3-4 times.
- Stretches your thighs, hips, hands and spine.
- Strengthens abdomen area.
- Strengthens thighs, knees, ankle, leg, hands, and torso.
- Improves balance of the body.
- Boosts immune system.
- Stimulates heart and diaphragm.
- Utkatasana Precautions
The pose should be avoided if you are suffering from
- Knee problems
- Low blood pressure