Hanuman Chalisa is a poetic composition of the great saint Goswami Tulsidas. Tulsidas is considered to be an incarnation of Saint Valmiki. It is believed that Tulsidas composed Hanuman Chalisa in a state of Samadhi in a kumbh mela in Haridwar. Chalisa means forty and this famous composition has 40 verses in praise of Hanuman. Saint Tulsidas says that whoever chants Hanuman Chalisa will attract the infinite grace of Lord Hanuman.
Story behind Hanuman Chalisa
Once Tulsidas went to meet Aurangzeb. The emperor mocked Tulsidas and challenged him to show the lord to him. The poet ingeniously replied that seeing Rama was not possible without true devotion. As a result, he was imprisoned by Aurangzeb. Tulsi Das is thought to have written the magnificent verses of the Hanuman Chalisa in that prison. It is said that an army of monkeys menaced Delhi as soon as Tulsidas finished his ode and recited the same.
Hidden Divine Secrets of Hanuman Chalisa
There is a special reason for chanting Hanuman Chalisa. The 40 verses should be chanted for 40 days to have one`s prayers answered and to gain immense merit. The divine Chalisa is very powerful as it has: If one recites this Chalisa with total faith and devotion then one earns the merit of having the darshan of the 8 murtis, 12 jyotirlingas, 5 mukhs, and 15 eyes.
- Astrologically, it has been found to be highly effective in controlling the malefic effects of Saturn transit or Saturn`s major or minor periods. Those under the negative influence of the planet will find great relief and benefit if they chant the Chalisa for 8 times on a Saturday.
- Those with mangal dosha or are mangliks should recite this Chalisa for beneficial results. Positive qualities of Mars like strength, courage, indomitable spirit and energy are imbibed through chanting the Chalisa.
- Those with afflictions of Planets Saturn and Mars should recite the Chalisa for positive outcomes.
When to chant Hanuman Chalisa
Hanuman Chalisa can be recited both in the morning and evening. It takes not more than 10 minutes to read this beautiful hymn. It is said that each verse or chaupai has its own significance. If one is unable to read all 40 verses, then one can choose to recite only certain ones to suit their needs.
- For removal of bad karma- first opening verse
- Wisdom and strength – second opening verse
- Attainment of divine knowledge – 1ST verse
- Removal of bad company and habits – 3rd verse
- Cultivation of devotion – verses 7 and 8
- Protection from poisons and snake bites – 11th verse
- Removes misunderstanding between sons and daughters – 12th verse
- To gain fame – 13th – 15th verse
- Recovery of lost status, promotion in jobs- 16th -17th verse
- Remove obstacles; accomplish difficult tasks – 20th verse
- Protection from adverse planetary influences – 22nd verse
- Protection from black magic and evil spirits – 24th verse
- To achieve good health -25th verse
- Liberation from crisis – 26th verse
- Fulfillment of desires – 27th – 28th verses
- Victory over enemies – 30th verse
- Occult powers and wealth – 31st verse
- To follow ethics and have a fulfilling life – 32nd -35th verses,
- For mental peace – 36th verse
- For grace of Lord Hanuman – 37th verse
Benefits of Reading Hanuman Chalisa
To reduce the effects of Saturn
As per the legends, the lord of Saturn, Shani Dev, is frightened of Lord Hanuman. Therefore, reciting Hanuman Chalisa helps reduce the effects of Sade Sati. So those who are suffering due to the placement of Saturn in their Kundli, should chant the Hanuman Chalisa specially on Saturdays for peace and prosperity.
To deflect evil spirits
Lord Hanuman is considered as a deity who helps get rid of evils and spirits that can be dangerous. It is believed that if you are troubled with nightmares you should place Hanumna Chalisa under your pillow to sleep peacefully. It helps you get rid of daunting thoughts.
To pray for forgiveness
We all commit sins intentionally and unintentionally. Rather as per the principles of Hinduism, we are stuck in the cycle of birth and death only because of our sins. Reciting the opening verses of the Hanuman Chalisa helps one get rid of the bad deeds done in the previous and present birth.
To destroy hindrances
Just like Lord Ganesha, Hanuman also has the reputation of removing all our obstacles. If one recites Hanuman Chalisa with complete devotion, he or she invites the divine protection of Lord Hanuman who ensures that the devotee faces no complication in life.
Reading the Hanuman Chalisa, first thing in the morning, will ensure that your day goes well. It helps you feel relaxed and completely in control of our life. Reading the Hanuman Chalisa can fill a person with divine bliss.
To have a safe journey
Have you seen miniatures of Lord Hanumana either dangling from the rearview mirror of the car or just sitting on the dashboard? What makes him a popular choice for a car? It is widely believed that Lord Hanuman can prevent accidents and ensure success of the trip.
To fulfill all our wishes
The benefits of chanting or listening to Hanuman Chalisa are infinite and incredible. It is believed that if a devotee recites these 40 verses with pure devotion and focus, he or she gets rewarded and all the wishes come true. Regular recitation of the Chalisa bestows you with the Lord’s blessings and grace you with glorious powers.
To gain wisdom and strength
High pitched recital of Hanuman Chalisa creates so much positive energy around you that you feel extremely lively throughout the day. It kills laziness and procrastination and makes one more efficient. It also cures small lifestyle ailments such as headache, sleeplessness, anxiety, depression etc.
To gain divine spiritual knowledge
The devotee who chants Hanuman Chalisa is blessed with divine spiritual knowledge. It is believed that all those who are treading on the path of spirituality get immense help from Lord Hanuman as he shows them the right way and helps them tame their minds so that materialism could be kept at bay.
To reform a person
Reciting Hanuman Chalisa helps in reforming people who have fallen into bad company or have become slaves an objectionable habit. The energy that generate from the Chalisa fills the heart of the devotee with positivity and strength.
To promote unity
Daily recitation of Hanuman Chalisa with dedication and devotion eliminate all sorts of disagreements and arguments in a family and promotes unanimity, contentment, happiness and peace in life. It removes negativity and brings harmony in relationships.
To ward off negative energies
One the verses from Hanuman Chalisa reads as “Bhoot Pichash Nikat nahi aaven, mahavir jab naam sunave” which can be translated to – no evil spirit can affect a person who takes the name of Lord Hanuman and recites Hanuman Chalisa at the top of their voice. It removes all sort of negativity from the mind and soul of the family members and brings peace and harmony within the family.
Apart from this, here are the other benefits of chanting Hanuman Chalisa
- It has a purifying effect on both body and mind and is spiritually uplifting.
- It saves one from all dangers in life and helps gain spiritual wisdom and confidence in life.
- It is believed that while going for job interviews if one reads this Chalisa then one can expect favorable results.
- To get liberation from legal entanglements, litigation, imprisonment, one should recite the Chalisa for 100 times a day to secure favorable results.
More significantly, when the Chalisa is read at night times, it wards off evil forces from one`s life and removes the sins committed knowingly or unknowingly. It is believed that those who have major tasks to be achieved should recite these verses 1008 times on an auspicious night of Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday or on moola star day. One will have all obstacles removed in the way of good life and also get the protection and grace of Hanuman when recited at night. The famous yogi saint of Northern India, Neem Karoli Baba asked his devotees to recite Hanuman Chalisa during difficult times.