Mantra yoga is a type of yoga that uses mantras to awaken the Self and deepen the meditative aspects of a physical yoga practice. Mantra yoga is an exact science that is meant to engage the mind through focusing on sound, duration and number of repetitions. Repetition of the mantras is a means to get closer to the divinity within, and it creates positive vibrations that benefit both the one who chants and the one who listens.
Here are the various methods of chanting a mantra.
Baikhari (Audible) – By chanting a loud which can be heard easily is called “Baikhari” Chanting.
Advantages of Baikhari Chanting
- Removes thoughts
- Easy conceptualization of thoughts
- Makes meditation easy
- Upanshu (whispering) – Chanting of mantra in low voice, or just whispering so that only practitioner can understand is called “Upanshu” Chanting. Advantages of “Upanshu”
Long duration chanting (8 to 10 hours)
- Purposeful Mantra repetition (example: for wealth, health, land acquisition, happiness etc.)
- Destiny Errors can be corrected with this type of chanting
- Manasik (Mental) – without chanting a loud or whispering, mantra is repeated in mind, this type of mantra chanting is difficult and can be learnt only with practice. Advantages of Mental Chanting
Subtle form of chanting commonly used by advanced practitioners leads to higher states of awareness.