Is yoga in the morning more beneficial? Basically, it comes down to personal preference; do you enjoy doing yoga in the morning? Do you find it invigorating and energizing? Or do you feel relaxed and restful after yoga, and ready to head straight to bed?
If you think you might enjoy doing yoga in the morning, it’s certainly a good idea to give it a try! Here are a few reasons why morning yoga is worth a shot:
yoga morning benefits
- The movement and stretching help you get rid of the “fuzz” that built up around your muscles during the night.
- Practising yoga as soon as you get up can help lower your cortisol levels and resist unnecessary stress.
- Morning yoga can be just as efficient as coffee in waking you up and energizing you for your day.
- Doing yoga first thing boosts your mood for the rest of the day.
- It helps you avoid procrastinating since you can cross it off your to-do list right away.
- A morning yoga session can put you in a mindful and aware state of mind as you continue with your day.
- Yoga early in the day can set you up for regular and relaxing breathing from that moment until your head hits the pillow at night.
- It can bias your mind towards the positive right from the start of your day.
- Morning yoga may also bias you to continue making healthy choices all day.
- It may actually turn you into a morning person (Newlyn, 2016A).
If none of these reasons sounds good enough to pull you out of bed earlier than you have your current alarm set, don’t worry! Practising whenever you can is still better than not practising at all!