Former Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan has accused the ruling coalition of plotting to instigate a confrontation between the army and his party. Khan, who addressed the nation via video link from his residence in Lahore, warned that the country is on the brink of an “imminent disaster” and could face disintegration if immediate action is not taken. He emphasized that holding elections is the only viable solution to end the prevailing political instability.
In his address, the 70-year-old leader of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party criticized the Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM) leaders and Nawaz Sharif, who is currently residing in London, accusing them of prioritizing their personal interests over the welfare of the nation. Khan expressed concern that the constitution is being disregarded, state institutions are being undermined, and the reputation of the Pakistan Army is being tarnished.
“I am having a terrifying vision of the country heading towards an impending disaster,” Khan stated, urging the powers that be to allow elections to proceed in order to save the nation. His address took place as police surrounded his residence.
Referring to his recent arrest on May 9, Khan claimed it was a “pure conspiracy” orchestrated by the ruling coalition and the Punjab caretaker government. He warned that if the situation is not sensibly addressed, Pakistan may face a crisis akin to the separation of East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) in 1971.
Defending his criticism of the country’s army, Khan likened it to reprimanding his own children, emphasizing his deep concern for the welfare and reputation of the institution.
The former Prime Minister strongly refuted the Punjab government’s claims that over 40 terrorists were hiding within his Zaman Park estate. He maintained that the government should lawfully investigate the matter with a search warrant, as the alleged presence of terrorists not only endangered the nation but also put his own life at risk.
Highlighting a recent survey, Khan asserted that 70 percent of the population stands with his party, PTI, while the remaining 30 percent supports the parties in the ruling coalition.
Imran Khan’s address sheds light on the growing tensions and political turmoil within Pakistan. As the situation unfolds, it remains to be seen how the ruling coalition and opposition parties will respond to his calls for immediate action to avert a national crisis.
Discussion about this post