Each new activity or pooja is started by first worshipping and offering reverences to the holy God Lord Ganesha. He is invoked and called to preside over any worship or yagna, and only post this the other rituals are started. He is also the first to be worshipped during any auspicious event. Blessings of Lord Ganesha are said to be the most powerful ones and the devotion of this marvelous deity does not stay within the Hindu boundaries, but extends to other religions like Jainism, Buddhism etc.
According to the Hindu Religion, Lord Ganesha is the God of knowledge, wisdom, intelligence, and prosperity. He is considered the Head of all Gods and is worshipped first.
Ganesh is the son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. The worship of Lord Ganesha removes all obstacles and hurdles from our lives.
There are many mantras, stotras and aartis specifically written in the Vedas and Puranas to please and worship the great Lord. The most important of them all is –
“Vakratunda Mahaakaaya Suryakotee Sama Prabha
Nirvighnam kuru mey Deva Sarva kaaryeshu Sarvadaa”
- Cleanse your body: Taking a bath in the name of the God is said to wash away the sins and miseries of life. It perpetuates happiness, health and wealth, and brings you children and salvation.
- Offer white flowers: Offering white flowers to the gods brings success and fame. You may also offer Jasud or Hibiscus flower, as it is considered very dear to Lord Ganesha.
- Offer grass: Offering grass brings good luck, prosperity and children.
- Offer vermilion: Offering Vermilion or Sindoor brings good fortune.
- Light incense sticks: Offering incense brings fame.
- Offer sweets (Laddoo): Offering sweets will help you fulfil your desires.
- Mantra Pushpanjali: Offer flowers to Lord Ganesha and ask His forgiveness for the mistakes you have made.
In general Ganesh Worship brings you the following:
- Regular chanting of Lord Ganesha Mantras improves discipline.
- It develops a spiritual lifestyle reducing health issues.
- Lord Ganesha Mantras removes all kinds of obstacles.
- Increases capacity to work.
- Improves focus.
- Makes the mind stable and relaxed.
- Improves studies.
- It helps to control diseases and ailments.
- Provides capacity to face and resolve problems.
- Opens the path of material and spiritual progress.
- Helps to accumulate money and spiritual merits.
- Reduces fear in the person.
- Helps in starting incomplete and stopped works.
- Prevents sudden and sharp shifts in life.
- Reduces anxiety.
- Improves relationships.
- Has a positive impact on personality.
- Overall improvement in the quality of life.
- Purifies the mind.
- Deepens the meditation.
- Provides material and spiritual prosperity.