After waking up, you will feel the urge for urination and bowel evacuation. Follow your urge and rush to the toilet for evacuating your bowel and urinary bladder. In most people, this is an autonomic reflex for a bowel movement and urination in the morning. This urge should commence on its own. Do not force to evacuate the bowel. Sometimes, you may need to walk a few steps before getting this urge.
A Simple Remedy for Easy Evacuation of your Bowels
If you suffer from constipation or you don’t get the natural urge in the morning, Triphala Rasayana is the best remedy. Take 3 grams Triphala Churna along with 2.5 grams of ghee and 5 grams of honey in the evening after taking the evening meal. Following this Rasayana, you will start getting a bowel evacuation urge in the morning. You can continue this Rasayana throughout life. Because Triphala contains powder of three fruits – Amla (आंवला), Behera (बहेड़ा) and Harad (हरड़), which also provide nourishing and antioxidant benefits like other fruits. It also helps in the prevention of several diseases.
The Best Position for Evacuating Your Bowel
- Makes elimination faster, easier and more complete. This helps prevent “fecal stagnation,” a prime factor in colon cancer, appendicitis and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Protects the nerves that control the prostate, bladder and uterus from becoming stretched and damaged.
- Securely seals the ileocecal valve, between the colon and the small intestine. In the conventional sitting position, this valve is unsupported and often leaks during evacuation, contaminating the small intestine.
- Relaxes the puborectalis muscle which normally chokes the rectum in order to maintain continence.
- Uses the thighs to support the colon and prevent straining. Chronic straining on the toilet can cause hernias, diverticulosis, and pelvic organ prolapse.
- A highly effective, non-invasive treatment for hemorrhoids, as shown by published clinical research.
- For pregnant women, squatting avoids pressure on the uterus when using the toilet. Daily squatting helps prepare one for a more natural delivery.
After Emptying Your Bowel
After evacuating bowel and urinary bladder, wash your hands and face with cold water. It can be your tap water or water kept in an earthen pot.
Ayurveda also recommends washing face with medicated water or milk. I will discuss this in my later articles.
You should also wash your hands before and after eating food, after cleaning nasal discharge and dried rheum from eyes and after touching hair or another person and after returning home.