The World Health Organisation data suggests India is leading the charts in diabetes. According to an estimate, diabetes affects about one in 11 adults worldwide and increases the risk of heart attack, stroke, blindness, kidney failure and other health complications. It also affects physical energy levels and sex drive.
Regular practice of yoga, especially Ardha Matsyendra Asana is found to be effective in controlling sugar levels in the blood. In English, it is called as Half Spinal Twist Pose.
- Practising this yoga pose helps to instruct the pancreas to secrete more insulin as Ardha Matsyendra Asana stimulates the pancreas. Secretion of insulin ensures sugar control in blood thereby diabetes is controlled.
“By doing this asana it massages the kidneys, pancreas, small intestines, gall bladder and liver which helps to stimulate digestion and removes the toxins.” says Yoga Expert Sumit Sharma. Doing this asana every morning can make a huge difference in increasing the metabolism rate of the body.
How to do
- [embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cqgui3mNhw[/embedyt]Sit in Dandasana on the floor
- Sit with your leg stretched and the spine straight.
Lifting your right leg and place it on the outside of left leg at the height of knee/besides the left knee.
- Then, bend the left knee and place the heel of left leg to touch the right hip on the side.
- Place your right arm behind your back and the take the left up and straight in such a way that it faces the ceiling. Then, bring your left arm and tuck it in you right knee and try to touch the left knee or the right foot with the palm of the lower arm.
- Now sitting in this position, bend your spine towards right
- While exhaling, twist more towards the right starting from the lower torso to chest and then neck and head.
- Your head will turn and come to the right side after the maximum stretch.
- Stay in this position for 5-8 breaths.
- Practice the same 5-6 times on both the sides.