Anulom Vilom, also known as the alternate breathing technique, is excellent for respiratory problems and asthma. It facilitates proper functioning of the lungs, mitigates stress, lifts up your mood and keeps stress at bay.
Benefits of Anulom Vilom
- The whole body is nourished by the extra supply of oxygen
- Blood is purified of any toxins
- The brain centres are stimulated to work to their optimum capacity
- Gives tranquility, clarity of thoughts and improved concentration
- Lowers levels of stress and anxiety
- Increases vitality
- Function of all systems (endocrine, digestive, excretory, reproductive, nervous, respiratory, circulatory) are improved
- Balances left and right energy pathways, ida and pingala, clearing pranic blockages. This can awaken sushaumna.
How to do
Make the pranava mudra with the right hand. Pranava mudra is made by bending the index and middle finger towards the palm. When we bring the right hand up to the nose we can block the right nostril with the thumb and then change to blocking the left nostril with the ring finger, which may be supported with the little finger. In this way we can move the hand from side to side, as needed.
Slowly inhale through the left nostril, close the nostril and exhale slowly through the right nostril. Inhale through the right nostril and then exhale through the left nostril. This is one round. Continue at your own pace. If that is comfortable a ratio can be added, such as 4:4 or 4:8. Always start by inhaling through the left nostril and finish by exhaling through the left nostril. The left nostril relates to the calming energy in our body so it will give us more benefits to practice in this way.
Precautions & Contraindications
There are no contraindications as such however the breathing must be smooth and rhythmic and not in steps. There should never be strain and one should not feel that they are running out of breath. One should choose a ratio that suits them. If one has a cold or one nostril is blocked then it can be better to practice deep breathing or do a round of fast breathing first.