2 people killed, three injured in stabbing attack on London Bridge

In the United Kingdom, two people were killed and three injured in a terror attack on London Bridge yesterday. The suspect was a former prisoner convicted in 2012 for terrorism offences, police said today. Police identified the man, who was shot dead by officers after the attack. According to a statement by Police, the suspect was known to authorities as 28-year-old Usman Khan who have been convicted in 2012 for terrorism offences. He was released from prison in December 2018 on a license, added the official.

The incident in London came less than two weeks before the general election at which Prime Minister Boris Johnson hopes to win a majority to enable him to take Britain out of the European Union. The Prime Minister cut short a visit to return to central London for a briefing by the police and a meeting of Britain’s emergencies committee. He praised the emergency services and the public for their response. He added this country will never be cowed or divided or intimidated by this sort of attack.”

A White House spokesman said US President Donald Trump had been briefed on the attack and was monitoring the situation.

The London attack came a few hours before a number of people were wounded in a stabbing in one of the main shopping streets in the centre of the Dutch city of The Hague, Netherlands.

The two attacks happened on so-called “Black Friday”, one of the busiest shopping days of the year in the run-up to Christmas, bringing more shoppers onto the streets.