Lord Shiva is the one who is considered as the god residing in burial grounds indicating his disregard for the worldly pleasures. Unlike other gods, he needs no ornaments or gold for decoration. Not even beautiful cloth is required. Just plain white ash is sufficient to pray effectively.
Shiv Puranam discusses in detail his greatness and also the ways in which we can worship him. Let’s have a look at 10 ways in which we can earn His blessings. For one to get the desires or wishes blessed he needs to pray with a composed mind and pleasant heart.
- Visit Lord Shiva’s temple on every Monday with a clean mind and body and offer prayers. Wearing rudraksha beads is considered to be great to gain instant blessings of shiva.
- Recite Maha Mrutunjay mantra for as many times as possible. This is the spell to overcome fatal diseases and untimely death.
“Om Tryambakam yajamahe sugandhim pushhtivardhanam
Urvarukamiva bandhanan mrityor mukshiya maamritath.”
- Apply a tilak of vibudhi or basm on the forehead during the temple visit.
- Keep chanting lord as “Om Namah Shivaya” continuously in your route to temple and back.
- Perform worship as abhishekam to shiva linga by bhasma, water
Offer bilwa leaves as they are considered the most favourite to Lord Shiva. Put them on shiv linga Shiva_lingam,
- Always worship Lord Ganesha before praying to Lord Shiva. He is supposed to remove any obstacles in the course of prayer and blessings thereon.
- It will be a good sign to light a deep or Jyoti as it is a prayer to lord shakti the other form of goddess Parvathi the wife of Lord Shiva.
- If possible offer jilledu flowers (Madar Tree, Gigantic-Swallow-Wort, Mudar, Aak) for Shiva puja. Both bilwa and jilledu are the ones which can be found in the nearby farms or forest. It is more auspicious to get from the natural source than buying from a shop.
- Visiting any one of the Jyotirliga is great to earn his blessings.
- Feeding people in the temple is another great way to earn Lord Shiva’s blessing.