At least ten people died in a devastating fire that broke out at 5 am on Sunday in a hotel being used as a COVID-19 isolation centre in Andhra Pradesh’s Vijayawada.
According to officials, one person was charred to death, while others died due to suffocation. As per report, there were around 40 people inside the hotel, out of which 30 were COVID-19 patients and 10 hospital staff.
A National Disaster Response Force team brought the dead bodies out of the hotel wearing PPE kits and other safety equipment.
While fifteen patients were rescued using fire tenders, nearly 17 others were brought to safety using ladders. They have been shifted to a hospital with similar isolation facilities.
Two employees, including security guard Krishna Reddy, jumped from the first and second floors to save themselves.
Prime Minister Modi has expressed shock over the incident.